When the accident occurs through no fault of your own, you rely on the other driver’s insurance company to address your claims. They may offer you a quick settlement but, before you accept, there are many things you should know.
The Damages You Can Recover
Under Alabama law, you have the right to monetary damages when the car accident occurred through the fault or recklessness of the other driver. Damages may include reimbursement or compensation for:
- Medical costs – including emergency care, follow-up treatments, surgeries, and rehabilitation.
- Property loss – the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and any property, such as a lap top or phone, which was damaged or destroyed as a result of the accident.
- Lost wages – this includes the time off work to recover from your injuries as well as time missed for follow-up doctor appointments and treatments.
- Pain and suffering – you are entitled compensation for the physical pain you experienced as a result of the accident.
- Emotional distress – the accident, and your recovery from it, took an emotional toll and you are allowed compensation for this experience.
While some of these damages may be obvious as the time of the accident, others may not be known for months or even years, so you should never rush into a settlement.
The Benefits of Legal Representation
While some people try to manage their claims alone, a 1999 study by the Insurance Research Council found that the average person receives a settlement 3 ½ times larger with legal assistance than without it. Why? The insurance company representing the at-fault driver wants to save money, not help you receive the appropriate compensation.
An experienced personal injury attorney knows the law and will seek all the compensation you deserve. They understand the process and can negotiate on your behalf for all of your current and anticipated medical expenses as well as lost wages that resulted from the accident.
The attorneys of Barfoot & Schoettker, L.L.C. are experts in this field, having successfully represented hundreds of clients injured in car accidents. We treat our clients with respect and provide the guidance and attention necessary to achieve the best outcome given the facts of each case. Contact us or call (800)834-3294 for your free consultation.