Car accidents are not only frightening but can become an ordeal to deal with especially if extensive car damage occurs. Along with dealing with the physical car damage and determining who is at fault, physical injuries inflicted during the accident can add a layer of complication.
One of the most common physical injuries that is reported as a result of car accidents is whiplash. According to the Mayo Clinic, whiplash is a neck injury due to forceful, rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck, like the cracking of a whip. This injury can cause a wide range of symptoms that do not all appear immediately following the crash.
Here at Barfoot and Schoettker we understand how overwhelming car accidents and resulting injuries can be to deal with. We are here to ensure that you receive the proper compensation that you deserve.
There are a variety of symptoms that can present themselves as a result of whiplash. Pain and symptoms may not present themselves immediately so it is important to be aware of any signs and properly record and report them. According to John Hopkins Medicine, the following are signs and symptoms of whiplash:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Increased pain with neck movement
- Inability to move the neck freely
- Pain in the upper back, shoulder, or arms
- Tingling or Numbness in arms
- And others
The accident and whiplash claim
Protecting yourself after a car accident can be done in many ways and will ensure that you have the best chance to receive the proper compensation. The following are the proper steps to take following a car accident and when preparing to file a claim:
- Visit a doctor: Even if you do not feel physically affected, visiting a doctor following an accident can help to determine if there are any underlying issues or potential issues to be aware of. Tests can be performed to determine if you are experiencing whiplash which can be beneficial evidence in the future. If a treatment plan for any injuries is formulated, it should be followed closely. Failing to abide by the treatment plan could indicate to insurance companies that your injury does not actually exist.
- File a claim: Once you have been involved in a car accident it is important to file an insurance claim immediately in order to ensure any possible deadlines are met. When reporting an accident, including as many factual details that clearly explains the incident is vital to ensure the correct person is deemed at fault and the insurance company has a full picture of what occurred.
- Document evidence: Taking photographs of damage, accident and interaction notes along with gathering any compiled documents is important to form a solid case. Police reports, medical test results and any car reports are all important to have when looking to file a case involving whiplash suffering.
- Personal Injury Attorney: A whiplash case should not be tackled by just anyone. An experienced attorney who has knowledge of personal injury cases is the best person to have with you when approaching this type of case. Here at Barfoot and Schoettker, we want to be your partner every step of the way.
How we can help
If you or a loved one is experiencing whiplash as a result of a car accident, we are here to help. At Barfoot and Schoettker our professionals understand that no two cases are the same, which is why we evaluate and investigate each case in detail to best determine the proper compensation that may be awarded. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.